Saugatuck, MI – The Gasoline Gypsies are more than talented modern classic rock musicians, they are the whole package. Musical talent, excellent performing skills, hard work ethic, and the ability to connect with people they meet with professionalism.
Friday night’s concert was a hosted at Lucy’s Sauggy Dollar Bar in Saugatuck, Michigan and Co-Hosted with Gypsy Vodka. This was not their typical concert. This Backyard Gypsy Bash was a 3 hour performance with over 25 songs! The night had a end of summer block party feel with a stocked bar, friends enjoying being together, excellent weather, and Lucy’s staff serving food off the grill. The Gasoline Gypsies played classic rock that inspired their sound and their own originals. People came for a drink but stayed the night because of their great performance.
If you have not heard of The Gasoline Gypsies, let me introduce you to a must follow band. Caleb Malooley (vocals, guitar), Steve Briere (vocals,bass), Joe Makowski (percussion), and Neal Laymon (vocals,guitar). These Michigan natives that are putting in the hard work for success. They have released two full albums and one EP. In 2017, JBL Sound declared The Gasoline Gypsies “One of the top three unsigned bands in America.”
- Outstanding Video Detroit Music Awards 2019 for “Freaks and Unbelievers”
- Outstanding Rock Recording Detroit Music Awards 2019 for “Vagabundos”
- Outstanding Rock/Pop Group Detroit Music Awards 2019
- Best Americana Act Detroit Music Awards 2018
- Best Americana Recording for “Killin’ Time”
PHOTO GALLERY The Gasoline GypsiesWebsite | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
The Gasoline Gypsies are increasing their fan base as they tour locally and nationally. I noticed that during set breaks they used their time as an opportunity to connect with people. Answering questions, photo ops, and selling merchandise was their break.
Lucy’s Sauggy Dollar Bar business partners, Dene Lencioni and Matt Balmer, shared that they enjoyed working with The Gasoline Gypsies. Balmer commented, “They’re an amazing band, but even more impressive, they’re just a great group of guys. They’re just good people.”
Listen to this band, follow them on social music, and tell your friends about them. They are the real deal!
Caleb’s opening set was a nod to some of the artists that have influenced him.
- Fire and Rain (James Taylor)
- Into the Mystic (Van Morrison)
- Down Home Girl (Alvin Robinson)
- Night Moves (Bob Seger)
- Cleopatra (Lumineers)
- Highway Man
Steve gave Caleb a break as he played Ain’t No Sunshine (Bill Withers) on the acoustic guitar.
The Second Set Started with the full band. The originals.
- Never Gonna Know For Sure
- That’s Just the Way it Goes
- Salem (live produced video on YouTube and the video that JBL Sound submitted that need The Gasoline Gypsies one of the top three unsigned bands in America 2017)
- Killin’ Time
- Under the Weather (their oldest continually performed song, and a summer anthem)
- Free Ride (Cover)
- Somethings Got to Give
- Melissa (Cover)
- Freaks and Non Believers (video won best video on a limited budget at this year’s Detroit music Awards)
- One More Taste
- Steve Opened the Third Set With Tie Dye Baby
- Gravel Roads
- The Last and Loudest Sound
- Playing with Fire
- Come Down to the River
- Walking Trouble
- Coming of the Storm
Show Date: 8/31/2019